Tuesday, May 04, 2010

happy birthday bill (sort of)


Ok, if you have heard this story before, sorry. But tomorrow is Bill's sort of birthday.

You see back when we were in College, one year Bill and I went into Cleveland for a weekend, and it happened to be cinco de mayo. So my mom decided to throw a party at our house for the large extended family, that way we could see them while we were in town. Mom even made cute homemade invites and sent them out to everyone. This included my now deceased great-grandparents Nana and Grandpa. Now Nana and Grandpa new I was dating an Asian, and when they got the invite which said something to the extent of "Celebrating Cinco de Mayo and Sarah and Bill's Homecoming" the some how interpreted that Bill's name was Cinco and it was his birthday. They were so confused about why we had a pinata etc..
I miss my great grandparents terribly and I so badly wished they could have been there for my wedding (Nana was already hospitalized and barely cognizant when we were engaged at Christmas 6 years ago, she and Grandpa would both pass away in 2004). But thinking about their confusion about Cinco de Mayo always makes me laugh. I think they would be happy for Bill and me (though I am sure they would be wondering why we haven't had kids yet). Anyway, I now always think of them on Cinco de Mayo, and I also always wish Bill a happy birthday.

me and Grandpa summer 2004
(unfortunately we got our digital camera after Nana passed away, so I have no digital pictures of her)

1 comment:

Malesa said...

Funny story. Happy belated birthday Cinco!