Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Books!

Lately I have been reading a lot. Some times silly dumb things (girls in pants, everyone worth knowing, three cocktail club, undomesticated goddess) sometimes moving stories (zorro, light on snow) and many by an author Jodi Picoult. I like most of what she writes, though i wasn't as impressed by the pact, I really enjoyed plain truth and vanishing acts. The book that brought me to her was my sister's keeper. Maybe it's my love of the law and order type shows that attracts me to these as they all have cases in them, maybe it's the multiple point of view writing that i enjoy... but either way they're pretty good books.

I really enjoyed Isabel Allende's Zorro. Allende wrote Daughter of Fortune, but before that she had written House of the Spirits and Eva Luna and after Portrait in Sepia and Zorro. I wish my grasp of Spanish was better, as then I could try my hand at the originals.

I didn't like Everyone worth knowing... Devil wears Prada was just more exciting and you feel something for the character...

This is the second time I read undomesticated goddess, and it makes me want to go out and get can you keep a secret as i think i would enjoy re-reading that one as well. I actually enjoy Sophie Kinsella's (Madeleine Wickham) stand alone books better, and I would be interested in reading more of Madeleine Wickham's books, as the three cocktail club was pretty good. Since the genre is similar i wonder why she has switched to the pen name.

ok well today i am reading in the company of cheerful ladies which will mean the only new book i have left is the biography of Ben Franklin... lucky for me i think i might pick up the paper back of harry potter and the half blood prince and re-read that.

oh and as a public service announcement the first animaniacs dvd the first pinky and the brain dvd from their respective tv shows are coming out this coming tuesday. fun stuff!
United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama...

1 comment:

RJW said...

i like isabelle allende a lot. i bought DOF after oprah recommended it and later Portrait in Sepia.