Tuesday, December 16, 2008

sarah's terrible horrible no good

very bad day.

It might not have been as bad as Alexander's day in one of my favorite children's books, but yesterday wasn't very good.

To start off with the sty that was killing me all weekend but I had thought was getting better kept half of my right eye closed when I woke. It hurt as bad as it had two days before.

Then Bill tells me the the temp has dropped from 50 some degrees the day before to 5 with a wind chill well below zero.

Ok, so I dress for warmth and eschew most of my make up (fear of irritating my eye).

We get ready and leave facing the bitter cold and walking to the train. we get to the platform in about the same time we normally do, which leaves us about 3 min before the train comes. so we wait on the platform. and we wait. It wasn't surprising that things were a little behind considering the cold. and then we wait and wait. and when a train finally does come 25 min after ours we get on. Lucky for us all trains stop at the last two stops because after we are on the train we find out that this is not the train we were waiting for, but the 7:18 . the intermediary stops for these trains differ so some poor souls had to get off and wait some more.

By the time we got on the train the cold had numbed my feet and fingers to the point past pain. After we go into the city I still have to face my new and annoyingly longer walk to work. I got in over a half hour later than usual.

So now I am cold, I have an aching eye and I have this generally flutter in my heart that happens when I am late -- I hate being late!

I settle down to work only to find that my printers aren't working, my files can't be made, and I cannot login to one of the computers that I need.

The rest of my work day generally follows that layout - won't work can't find it, permissions denied.

Exasperated , I bundle myself up and mentally prepare myself to the walk to the train. The walk wasn't as bad as I thought it could be and I got to my train after very brisk walking with about a min and a half to spare.

On the train I cozy up to my book of short stories, and before I know it I need to re-bundle get out my house keys and get off the train. Only problem is I can't find my house keys. Yup that's right coldest day of the season and guess whose house keys are sitting in her purse she used on Sunday... oh that's right me!

So I txt Bill who is up to his ears in work and tell him of my forgetfulness. I try to reach our pet walkers because they do have a key and I would gladly pay to get into my house especially since Mondays are one of the days that they currently do not walk the dog.

After no returned calls, I head over the the Public library to wait things out. Bill gets home and lets me in about 2 hours after I got off my train. (Poor Winnie!) and we start up dinner. I usually love Monday night tv, but since our DVR portion of our dish broke over the weekend I sadly was unable to watch the finales to Heroes or Chuck.

I spent the rest of the evening writing Christmas cards and trying to ignore the pain in my eye.

Hopefully today is a new day and things will be better.

1 comment:

Malesa said...

I'm sorry. Sounds like no fun and a lot of cold all around.