Tuesday, July 19, 2011

book review

Since this summer began I have tried to read some fun things here are some of the books

Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingbird Jay
This series was very thought provoking. Written for teens and not appropriate for children I think this series was short but really got me thinking. It is the type of series that had me revisiting the characters and story lines weeks later. And the first movie is coming out next year.

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, Double Comfort Safari Club
I love the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. It was the first series that I read by AMS and the characters are so loveable. It made me mad that they didn't continue it as a show on HBO. These two books did not disappoint.

World According to Bertie, Unbearable Lightness of Scones
Yes, I have read a lot of AMS this summer but his fun witty writing combined with lovable characters and great stories just brings me back for more. These are part of his 44 Scotland St Series

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag
While perusing a bookstore in Hydepark this spring I saw this series - mystery books written for adults from the perspective of a preteen (Flavia). I can wait to read the more recent one (was hoping the price on kindle would come down)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
The only stand alone book I have read this summer. I have to say this book had me a little scared during the climax (I am a wuss when it comes to scary stories). I really liked the writing and the wonderful pictures (though those would be best viewed in print not on a kindle). To see a trailer made by the author go here.

I am back to Sherlock Holmes for the time being and then might move on to some more recent fiction.

No comments: