Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cluck!

I have stayed abreast of the backyard chicken trend and have often said that if we lived in a town that allowed it and hard the space I would love to have a few chickens. So, when I saw this blog post about the chicken trend on one of my favorite econ blogs I had to read it.

I think the author makes and excellent point about the safety factors while ignoring the "freshness" or "nutrient" arguments that I often hear about backyard birds. I don't buy his argument that if you ar raising the bird for humane reasons that it isn't a paradox. I think part of the point of this movement is getting closer to your food source. I think a bigger problem is that once you raise a bird for eggs and it becomes a family "pet" you won't want to kill it.

Anyway, just presenting this as food for thought.

1 comment:

Malesa said...

It has eyes. And it would look at me. I'd be done for. The bird would live forever.