Thursday, December 08, 2005

I over paid for my education.

One of the small perks of my over priced education at U of C is that my college id has no dates on it, and since I am still as young and beautiful as ever I can "pass" for the same person in my old id. This leads to all sorts of benefits:discounts at theaters, museums, and Irish pub crawls. I have, however, found the most impressive discount so far: free movies on Wednesday nights! I don't know how long the will do this but the Hollywood Blvd Theater is having free movies on Wednesdays for folks with a college ID. Now as all good econ majors know the basic premise of economics is :TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.) So yesterday, Bill and I braved to cold weather (a cost of time and gas and warmth) to go see Chicken Little (an opportunity cost, as I could have been watching Alias and Lost) at the theater (a cost because since this is a "dinner" theater you must purchase one item per person along with your ticket)

Was it worth it? Well, for 35 bucks Bill and I got a meal with unlimited refills of Pepsi (a non-substitutable item for me because Coke just isn't as good), an appetizer and two entrees
(a burger and a chicken-artichoke-spinach pizza) and two "free" tickets to view the movie. It did cost us our time at home with our TV programs (but since Lost was a re-run and Alias is just dying a slow and painful death, I would opt for a new movie). It did make us venture out into the cold and use gasoline. But the movie was cute and the food was good so I would say yes it was worth it. Plus, I gained the benefit of not having to cook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a marketing ploy, "free" movie with marginal cost of probably $1 and they get you to buy $35 worth of food. i bet you business consultant becky came up with that for them.