Monday, October 05, 2009

Fall....

So it is really fall... the chill in the air, the lack of light in the morning and evening, and (obviously) the leaves falling. I am using a fellow bloggers post on "Maximizing Fall" as a jumping off point this morning.

Friday I made an apple bacon and cabbage dish that was quite good. this is only the second time I have ever prepared cabbage, and I was quite pleased with the results. Not quite maximising fall, but since the bacon, cabbage and apples all came from the Frankfort farmers market It was utilizing local/ seasonal foods. Fall count: .5 Friday I also worked on making the crusts to my apple pie.

Saturday I got up ran errands and then started on my apple pie. making dough for a crust is easy. rolling said dough out proved to be much harder. I ended up not having a double crusted, but a crumb top instead. Its OK though, it was still delicious. (score count for fall 1.5)

Saturday evening was Bill's 10 year HS reunion. It was fun (more so for Bill). I hung out with Mitul's girlfriend Christy all evening, which was nice.

Sunday brought the farmers market and a purchase of half a bushel of Apples (what ever that means) a pumpkin for pie /roasting and more bacon and eggs.

Yesterday evening, I made 5 1/2 lb of tomatoes into sauce, which is apparently nothing compared to my cousin (45lbs?!). I count this as maximizing fall because canning (or in my lame case freezing) is a fall activity. Fall count: 3 (.5 for getting the apples and pumpkin, but not quite apple picking :) )

Up on deck this week:
Dad is coming to visit!
Garlic shipped today!
First night below freezing :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shout-out! i just got my garlic too, who-hoo! i love that stinking rose. :)