Monday, February 22, 2010

a comment about the last post

Malesa commented about my post about Lent saying "There are more rules for lent than I realized."

I just wanted to say that Lent doesn't have a ton of rules, and most of them stem from the ideas of abstinence/fast, service and prayer. They are supposed to help you prepared for Easter by being more Christ-like. I like following the no meat on Fridays, because it isn't too hard, but it does help remind me that it is lent. I also work with many Catholics so our lunch on Fridays is focused on being meat free. The fasting is also good, as I think of all those people that have no choice but to fast day in and day out. I also think of our Muslim friends who fast for Ramadan I have such a hard time fasting for two days in the whole year it really helps me understand the sacrifice they make during that time.

Anything else you choose to do or give up is really up to you and your spiritual journey. I am not super religious, but like I have said before I like the concept of lent the preparation /"spring cleaning" of your body mind and soul.
____
update:
this is my post from last year that had suggestions for the Lenten season

3 comments:

Andrea and Terrance said...

I didn't know either! Terrance knows some people that are giving up things for Lent and he decided he is going to give up soda pop for Lent. I told him I didn't think it was the type of thing where you just pick something to get rid of. But truthfully, neither of us really knew. So thanks for clueing me in! Oh, and that little picture below of your dog is so cute. If I ever had a dog, it would look like yours.

sarah said...

I used to give up all caffeine (not a sacrifice for you guys) but I found soda pop to be more cut and dry. This year's sacrifice of chocolate is not easy though.

Malesa said...

Thanks for clarifying. I think Lent is a great thing. I think our society is a very indulgent society and abstinence (from whatever it may be)and self-sacrifice are great things to learn. That being said, I still think it's hard to fast once a month in our church and it's only for two meals.