Saturday, September 25, 2010

I havent had a class yet

but I have had three sessions on finding a job. I guess that is one of the reasons Booth is ranked number one this year by the economist, and is consistently in the top ten of most rankings. business school is just as much about your job as it is about your education.

So because what I think I would like to do isn't one of the big recruiting jobs my search is going to be me searching. why i couldn't have done that while i had a nice paying job I am not sure.

yesterday Bill and I tried this restaurant in west town. Dinner was yummy but dessert was phenomenal. I had a concord grape tart made with local grapes and served with corn ice cream (odd sounding but very yummy). Today we are going to try a new BBQ place. Bill has a club meeting for a club he is considering joining. They do consulting projects for not for profits that cant afford a consultant. It gives him experience plus volunteer work and provides the NP with help they need from a smart group. The full time program doesn't have this club, but we do have a club called Net Impact that I will be joining. they help team students up with local NPs to do board work. they also help students interested in pursuing NP work after school.

yesterday I attended the club fair to see what other groups I might want to join while on campus. There are so many student orgs, but many are either cultural or professional. So many just don't apply to me. I think I will join their Women in Business group. I hope I can get involved in this group as I always wanted to get involved in WIP when I was working full time. then there are the social clubs: wine, epicurean, yoga, every sport imaginable. Unfortunately, most of these clubs cost 100-150 dollars for the two years. I just can't decide on what might be worth while.

on top of clubs and job searching, eventually I will actually have classes and that will be followed by lots of homework. There is a grade non-disclosure policy at school, but I still want to do well, as do most of my classmates. Booth curves its classes to a 3.3, which basically means for every A there is a C and for some B+ there is a B-.

Anyway that is what has been on my mind the last few days. if a brain could hyperventilate, mine has gotten close this past week. I am a worrier and this information overload has me on high alert. I hope that once I get into the swing of things I will be back to my normal self. And if I am not I expect you guys to call me out on it. Thanks in advance!

2 comments:

Malesa said...

You are funny. Sounds like a lot is going on. Back to school time is such a crazy, exciting time!

sarah said...

yes it is... my stomach was doing flip flops this morning. it's like you never get used to your first day of school