Thursday, March 04, 2010

gardens!!!

Who is excited for spring?!?

[me me me.....]
[oh oh oh pick me!!!]

In celebration of a predicted 45 degree day this week lets talk about seeds and planting.

I think today I am going to talk about two of the three books I bought on line and then give my run down for hopefuls for the garden this year.

Both of the books that I am review are by the same author: Gayla Trail. She has a website here. The books are similar in tone and even have many of the same types of encouragement and suggestions.

I like the special projects in this book. being sewing deficient I think some of the tasks might be too hard for me to accomplish but there are some cool suggestions and fun projects. There were suggestions for how to combat (in an earth friendly way) some of the pests and diseases that can plague a garden. Some of my other books talk about making "teas" and "milks" but she actually explains how easy it is to do so.
This book is full of beautiful pictures and great advice for growing and using what you have. more focused on the actual garden aspect than the projects and what not. I liked the coverage of different veggies, which is a good portion of the book. Unlike some gardening books, who's coverage of plants is mostly charts with a tiny description, this book just writes about planting and harvesting, no charts! She gives great tips and hints through out some covering the same topics as the "You Grow Girl" book.

I don't know if I would reccoment buying both of these, but try to find them at your library, and if you like one as a refference book get it.

No comments: