Wednesday, March 03, 2010

hmm

so I had started a great post about the gardening books that i recently bought, but then I wanted to check somethings in the books first and never got around to it last night.

Instead you get to hear about my newest foray into fish.

Bill and I bought a half pound salmon fillet this weekend. I always thing of salmon as the fish nasty lox or smoke salmon that come in the box of Harry and David that no one at work wants. THIS salmon was delicious (though a tad fatty) and not fishy at all. we baked it with a marinade, but I think I might marinade longer the next time... as it is a thick fatty fish. Anyway, salmon was good and we had brussel sprouts with a lemon butter and some whole wheat cous cous. Bill told me this morning that a lot of people would like the meal we had last night... and at first I took it as a slight to my cooking, but he explained that some many people won't eat fish or a veggie like brussel sprouts. even cous cous can be off putting to people who have never tried it.

So my lesson for all of you: try something that you think you don;t like. try it in a new way and go in without your old prejudices and you might just be surprised. I for one will be willing to make salmon again because of it.

4 comments:

Malesa said...

Can't say that I'm a fan of brussel sprouts, but I LOVE salmon and I really like cous cous too. You can come and cook for me any night. :)

sarah said...

you and your sister think alike. Bill and I really must make the effort to get out and see you, maybe once you are all settled in in PA.

alana. said...

mm, Ive grown to love brussel sprouts! I like them roasted alot, they taste really nutty and nice like that, or I slice them thin and pan fry with bacon or pancetta and lemon zest. I think most people that hate them have had them steamed or boiled, which is really the worst way IMO.

Salmon is awesome too. I'm glad you liked it! I'll eat it anyway I can get it (steamed, grilled, roasted, broiled, smoked, poached, etc) except canned. That stuff is gnarly! mmm - you've made me want to make salmon this week!

sarah said...

Made salmon on Monday easy baked with a marinade of olive oil and Italian spices. Made it with honey roasted potatoes.