Thursday, August 26, 2010

3 days

After today, I have three days left at my current job. I don't know how I feel about it. sometimes I am incredibility sad, other times excited, nervous, and then sad again. Whatever I might complain about in my day to day routine, I love the people I work with. They are like family. They went to my wedding. They share my books. We celebrate all of our birthdays and every Friday we order in lunch and eat as a group. I know that when I leave I am not just leaving my first real job, or even just an era of my life. I am giving up a group of people that have shaped and influenced me, and I know that whereever I end up after school is done I will never have the opportunity to work with such a wonderful group of people again.

When I applied to school, I was so excited for the change, for the opportunity to go back and study and learn. But change is scary. And I sometimes wonder why I am pushing myself so far away from my comfort zone. All the mixing and mingling, the networking and leadership work, none of that is me. It would have been a lot easier (and less expensive) to have stayed where I was. I guess I am wondering if this will all be worth it in the end. I love UChicago, and I am looking forward to school, but when you are spending a ton of your own money on an education that includes pushing you into situations you don't feel comfortable you start to wonder why you are leaving your second family at work to go pursue something else.

Anyway thanks for being my journal today. I promise to be more upbeat and interesting tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll have a toast to you, to change and to the unknown on Friday! You're going to do great, Sarah!

sarah said...

and that's why i love you bruder

Malesa said...

It's scary, but more education is always worth it. It's when we are uncomfortable that we grow the most as people. That's what I think anyway. I think it's wonderful that you have been in such a great work environment for so long. I'm sorry that you are going to be leaving it behind.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know a thing about your workplace but do capture all of the things that you loved about it so that you can be sure to find that again in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there -- change is scary. Super scary! And networking is annoying. But you are off on a great adventure. What's the worst can happen? You hate it, quit, get your old job back or another job.