Monday, November 17, 2008

SNOW!

well we don't have any to speak of, but on the front page of CNN they are talking about the 2 ft that Lake county got. for those of you who didn't have to memorize the counties of Ohio (including the largest and smallest sitting right next to each other) that isn't that far from many of my east side family. but apparently there were no snow days to be had, because I spoke with David and he told me he sadly went to school today.

But then I started thinking about it, and though very few Clevelanders read my blog, it was that very same weekend in 1996 when the ice/ snow storm hit Cleveland leaving many without power and schools were closed all week. I remember it distinctly because I was away that weekend for MUN at the navel academy and ours was one of the last planes to land before Hopkins shut down. so i left school mid-day Thursday and didn't have to go back until a week from that Monday. (and then we had Wed-Sunday off a week after that for thanksgiving)

I miss snow days. that was the storm that bent our very tall arborvitaes into a great snow den that the boys and i dug out. again, I miss snow days. even if the city of Chicago shut down due to snow (never) i would be so busy shoveling that i wouldn't be able to enjoy it (time to get that snow blower Bill).

1 comment:

Malesa said...

Snow and snow days are very exciting. I have to admit though that snow days have turned into dread days for me as an adult since if I'm working that day at the hospital, I still have to go in and getting there is beastly. It makes it even worse to know that every one else in the world gets to stay home in their warm, safe house. If only we could shut the hospital down...